Originating in the early 1990’s, the “Commitment of Care” was formally adopted by major U.S. pregnancy help affiliation organizations in January 2001. Focusing primarily on positive client care, these ethical codes of practice dispelled the abortion activists’ false accusations and formed the basis for strong client services approval ratings.
Robust growth of pregnancy help efforts in specific – and non-profit entities in general – has brought additional scrutiny of these organizations. In response, the Leadership Alliance of Pregnancy Care Organizations (LAPCO), added new basic standards for organizational competency. Integrating these ethical codes of practice into the existing client-care elements produced the expanded document now known as the “Commitment of Care and Competence.”
Introduced in 2009, this commitment to ethical practices is the core standard for affiliation for all major life-affirming pregnancy help affiliate groups.
- Clients are served without regard to age, race, income, nationality, religious affiliation, disability or other arbitrary circumstances.
- Clients are treated with kindness, compassion and in a caring manner.
- Clients always receive honest and open answers.
- Client pregnancy tests are distributed and administered in accordance with all applicable laws.
- Client information is held in strict and absolute confidence. Releases and permissions are obtained appropriately. Client information is only disclosed as required by law and when necessary to protect the client or others against imminent harm.
- Clients receive accurate information about pregnancy, fetal development, lifestyle issues, and related concerns.
- We do not offer, recommend or refer for abortions or abortifacients, but are committed to offering accurate information about abortion procedures and risks.
- All of our advertising and communication are truthful and honest and accurately describe the services we offer.
- We provide a safe environment by screening all volunteers and staff interacting with clients.
- We are governed by a board of directors and operate in accordance with our articles of incorporation, by-laws, and stated purpose and mission.
- We comply with applicable legal and regulatory requirements regarding employment, fundraising, financial management, taxation, and public disclosure, including the filing of all applicable government reports in a timely manner.
- Medical services are provided in accordance with all applicable laws, and in accordance with pertinent medical standards, under the supervision and direction of a licensed physician.
- All of our staff, board members, and volunteers receive appropriate training to uphold these standards.
Final language as approved by the National Leadership Alliance of Pregnancy Care Services – 03/17/09
Print the Commitment of Care and Competence and hang it up at your center.