Pregnancy help centers are non-profit organizations established by pro-life supporters that work to assist women who have an unexpected pregnancy. Most pregnancy centers are in the United States, however many have been established overseas. They’re usually affiliated with a pro-life Christian organization such as Heartbeat International. The pregnancy help centers provide pregnancy consultation, intervention and support; education and information on pregnancy adoption, abortion, sexually transmitted infections (STIs/STDs); services and referrals for ongoing needs. Some of the programs and services include medical services like ultrasound to confirm pregnancy and STI/STD testing.
5 Critical Questions to Answer First
- What is the specific need to address?
- What area and demographic needs to be served?
- Are any other organizations serving this need for this area/demographic?
- Is it possible to join or extend the work already existing?
- Can the community support this need?
We suggest checking Heartbeat’s Worldwide Directory or going to www.OptionLine.org, enter your zip code to see if/what other organizations exist in your area and network with them as you pursue starting a ministry so as to not compete with funding resources in the area. Often times we find that a group may wish to open a center in an area where another center has been strategically planning and praying to open. You may actually be the answer to another ministries prayer. Many states have coalitions of pregnancy centers and will be a good reference for you as you start, and then as you grow your center.
Recommended Heartbeat Resources
- A Vision for Your Organization
- This resource will help guide you through the necessary steps as you start a non-profit organization. A Vision for Your Organization will help you translate your passion into a plan for a bright future - or update your current vision. We encourage you to purchase this manual which will answer many of the important questions you may have.
- GOVERN Well
- The LOVE Approach
Heartbeat International is here to assist you. Affiliation is complimentary the first year for brand new start up organizations. Click here to learn more about the benefits of affiliating with Heartbeat International.